Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tortilla Soup, Corn Chips, Dennenkoeken Cookies & Cupcakes


Another week gone by with a lot of incredible happenings to share with you.   :)

We fed a total of 84 people last weekend & surpassed 2,300 fed altogether now.  :o

Jennifer from Red Velvet Cupcakery donated a bunch of wonderful gourmet cupcakes again & the homeless are always begging me for more than one.  I can't blame them, those cupcakes are awesome !!  :)  

My dear friends Dave & Linda M. bought a cupcake carrier for me that holds 36 on 3 tiers.  How thoughtful is that !!  :)  It keeps the cupcakes fresh much longer & is so much easier to carrying than the cardboard boxes.  Thank you Dave & Linda !!  You are The Best !!  :)   Dave is also helping carry all the heavy pots to my car & puts the cases of water into the coolers to take to the parks.  :)  They are pretty heavy for me to carry & I have been needing help. 

Speaking of water ....  Chad of Might Photography loaded 40 cases of water into both of our cars & he then unloaded them all into my garage.  Thank you Chad for all that muscle work, you sure had a work-out that day.  :)  I am very grateful for your help !!  :)   Also, Chad is the gifted photographer who took the above pictures of me in my kitchen.  He is very dedicated to his craft !!  :)

And thank you once more my dear Laurel for paying for all that water for the homeless !!  I So Love You !!  :) 

One of the homeless called me "Cupcake" & said that it is my new nickname.  :)  I laughed & told him that it fits me perfectly, I am chubby & I am short, just like a cupcake.  :)

Thank you Buck of Sugar Pies for all the Dennenkoeken cookies.  Everyone can find the recipe on Buck's blog, just click on the above link.  And thank you Buck for helping chop up 30 lbs. of zucchini for the tortilla soup last Saturday & for shredding some of the chicken.  I would have been very, very late to the park without your loving help.  :) 

Thank you Rosemarie H. for helping us serve the food last Monday & for bringing all those beautiful blankets to the homeless.  :)   Your Heart is very big !!  It is always a Joy when you join Jessie & I at the parks !!  :)

Katie brought over two loaves of bread from "Beyond Bread" for the Estevan Park people.  Thanks Katie Dear !!  :)  The bread was gone pretty quickly, especially with the soup.  :)

Maggie & Brian D. gathered a lot of warm clothes from their friends for the homeless & I will take them there on Monday, once I have the time to go through them all.  Thank you also so much for bringing some of the food for this coming weekends meals !!  :)   You both are great friends to the homeless & me !!

Lots of thanks goes to Jennifer R. for not giving up & bringing over a bunch of fresh vegetables.  :)  
Jennifer went to Food City & saw a man taking a huge bag of reject vegetables & fruit outside.  She asked him if she could have them for meals for the homeless & he said he couldn't do that.  Well, Jennifer didn't give up & ended up having them in the back of her truck to bring over here.  :)   I am able to use a lot of the vegetables, they were still good, just not good enough to sell anymore.  Thank you nice Food City man for caring !!  :)  I am making burritos this coming weekend & all those peppers, chile's, tomatoes, etc., are perfect & healthy to mix in with the rice & meat.  :) 

Jessie & I went to a Lions Club meeting on Wednesday at 7:00 AM to try to get donations of blankets, sleeping bags & jackets for the homeless.  It was Jessie's idea  :), she has a friend who is a member.  Those of you who know me well, know that I am a night owl & don't go to sleep until about 2:00 or 3:00 AM.  I never got any sleep that night since I needed to get up around 6:00 AM to make it to the meeting.   :)   The Lions gave us a wonderful breakfast & some great coffee, which Jessie & I had lots of, trying to wake up.  Thank you Jessie for talking first, as I was still sort of brain-dead at that early hour.  :)   We really enjoyed ourselves though & it all was very educational.  The Lions do a lot of incredible work to help our community !!   :)

Lion Tim G. gave me a wonderful cash donation for the food fund & I am very grateful for your generosity Tim !!  :)  Lil' Kencie & her Dad also donated & so did Julie K., whose visiting father told some very interesting stories about his career. Thank you each & everyone of you for your caring & sharing!!  :) 
And it looks like we might be getting some used jackets from some of the members & hopefully blankets too.   :)  

Last Monday we were asked for gloves too.  Something else I never thought of, but which now makes total sense to me for during the nights when it is so cold.  All of this is such a learning experience for me & it is good to share it all with each & everyone of you.  :)

I would like to send out another great big shout-out to Dawn in Minnesota.  She has been saving up her pennies to buy brandnew underwear for both men & women, also new t-shirts & socks too.  This amazes me since Dawn does this periodically & then mails it all to Tucson.  She has very limited income, but wants to give & help out.  Many Blessings to you Dawn & I am ever so grateful for your caring Heart !!  :) 
I decided to keep it all to give as Christmas gifts to the homeless & some of it to the Native Americans as part of my "6th Annual Native American Christmas Project".  :)   I hope that I will meet you some day Dawn, so I can give you a great big Hug !!  :)  

There is more incredible news to share, but I will keep it for the next blog.  This one has gotten pretty long, as they mostly are.  :o   It is always great though to share all this wonderful news with everyone !!  :)

Good night now & sleep with the Angels always !!  :)

No comments: